mauGRYPH

The blog of artist Dean Scheppel- dragondean.com / maugryph.com


Leave a comment

The Process of Creating a 3D Model (Final Animation Project)

It’s done. It’s finished.  My final animation project in class.
A very short film on the process of creating a 3D creature. This is not a tutorial. While I wanted to get into more complex topics such as UV mapping and Weight Painting, I was limited to 2 minutes so I could only fit in the basic process. This was my first animated 3d creature I had designed in Cinema4D. It was a fun project. I learned allot from doing this.

The skills I learned in AE and C4D made the class worth it.


Leave a comment

Impaler Monster (WIP) – (Mostly) Finished Texture and Started Rigg

3d monster game

The texture is basically finished. I made some stupid decisions when I was making the uv seems. I was unhappy with the seems I made so I just let the Paint wizard redo the seems automatically. BIG MISTAKE. However, I was able to hide my mistake with a little creative painting. Live and learn, I won’t make that mistake with the next model.

Also I started creating the character’s rig. C4D has a nice Character tool that makes the basic bones for you, and then you adjust them. The wight maps didn’t far too will, but I have bee doing a decent job at fixing them so far.

progress-4

I’m loosing sleep over this model. I been staying up to 3:00 in the morning for days. I haven’t even had time to draw. I wish I could of done this bloody thing in Maya and Mudbox. C4d is an awesome program but it doesn’t like my tablet and crashes if I attempt to use it. I have a different assignment due so I have to take a break from it.


Leave a comment

Impaler Monster (WIP) -Model and starting to texture

progress 2

This model is taking very long. I’ve never used Cinema 4D to make a creature this complicated. UVs are always a nightmare, I don’t quite do them accurately. But, I have to get this done so I’m pressing forward with what I’ve got.

I just started painting it. Since c4d is not compatible with my tablet, I have to use the freaking mouse. I was experimenting with spots. I was hoping to make the creature look poisonous. I might just go back to the leathery skin like in my concept art.

Also here is the base in all it’s untextured glory.

progress2


Leave a comment

Character Sheet for 3d Modeling Creature

character-sheet

Before I stared using character sheets in my modeling I would just have the ref on the side and try to ‘eye’ it. What was I thinking?!! This Time I took extra care to make a accurate character sheet. I then put each view on its own plane. Character sheet is the most useful tool on planet earth. I will never create a full model without one.

I finally thought up a name. The Impaler.


Leave a comment

Monster Concept for Animation Class Final (WIP)

monster-varation1-color3

In my animation class I will be making an animation on the process of making a 3d character. I must use C4d and after effects. I will have a few animated stills moved around in mograph and this guy. I originally had a cute story attached to this project but since I only have a week and a half I’m doing some serious cuts. The monster 3d model will probably be more cartoony and simplified when finished and will have one simple animation . Be pepared for many updates in the next two weeks. Im postponing my character paintings until next week.
Time spent
30 min on 15 silhouette
1 hour on variations
1 hour on this one


2 Comments

Character 3 – Paintball Warrior (Final)

character-study-3-v3

Here is a much more refined painting/ sketch. I plan on taking the time on my future characters. I’ve been down a bit with my art. It made me feel good that I can still paint. What I discovered from this drawing is to do passes. First block in the main shapes with a big brush, then shrink your brush about half and do another pass and add smaller shapes and so on. Once you get to a really small brush, put your effort in the focal points of your image.

I only used one brush. It is a custom round brush, the only difference to that of a normal round, is that I added transfer and put a super light texture onto the brush. I disabled brush size pressure because I have less control and I’m not inking lines. I find it’s best to have either brush pressure size or brush pressure transparency on. But not both, because it adds another element you have to deal with. Keep things simple.

I spent 3-4 hours on this painting. Image reference was by erian_stock.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,569 other followers