For this doodle I started on a black canvas. I approached it like a scratchboard. I feel at a loss with this doodle, I don’t know if it is the exhaustion of finals or that I forgot to do thumbnails but.. I’m very unhappy with today’s doodle. Time spent 40 minutes. I think I’m going to crash into bed.
Werewolves are cool but a 200ft (60m) werewolf would take the cake. Werewolves are like dragons, they are overused too much in fantasy video games but it would feel strange without them. I did something new to paint this picture. I quickly and randomly blocked in these tiny thumbnails then I would try to ‘see’ something in the random strokes I put down. It allows room for experimentation and ‘happy accidents’. After doing a dozen of these thumbnails I made one that resembled a city and thought ‘gee a 200ft werewolf would look great in this thumbnail’ and the rest is history. Time spent: 30 minutes.
UPDATE: I noticed a significant improvement today’s doodle, simply because I took the time to do thumbnails. It also helps that I blocked in the doodle instead of relying on a line sketch. I will continue to work this way with my doodles.
Yet again I decide to do my doodle near my bed time. I am too tired to draw this late at night and yet I do it over and over again. I wasn’t too happy with this doodle, the comp wasn’t working for me so I ended it early tonight. 20 min. Because of finals I am very behind in uploading artwork I have done. I will catch up when my final assignments for this semester are over.
Another monster themed doodle for today. I wanted to draw some sort of a warrior woman commanding a monsters. I feel I could of tried a more dynamic pose but.. oh well. All my monsters currently suffer from dragonanitus (They resemble dragons). I will be doing some animal doodles and then change them to monsters to attempt to get more variety with my monsters. I also want to have a girl or woman character in every daily comp I do. It’s important for me to ‘figure’ out how to include it in my comps.
Using a different program to sketch tonight because my Laptop is too weak to run a more powerful paint program. I am using a paint program called MyPaint. It took a while to get comfortable using it. I haven’t figured out how to tone the background.I spent about two hours painting it. Its more like cross hatching then value painting this time. I’m stuck with using this 2 days of the week for a couple weeks, so I might as well get comfortable with it. Today’s painting is more structured and less random even though I didn’t plan the sketch ahead of time. I am happy with the raptoreagle. MyPaint with a Wacom Tablet. I would have drawn some effect with the wand but I ran out of time.
Update: Removed sword piece out of chest because it looked just plain wrong from a distance.