Sorry, I’ve been neglecting my blog. I was busy with commissions for the last few days. I wanted to do some concept art for Alex and Cruz. A comic my friend and I are working on.We are shifting from ‘anthro’ animals to ‘normal’ ones. My friend Cruz needed a head shot of his character for the comic. I thought I would do a bust for each. Although the final designs will not be as details as this. I enjoy painting details, It’s very therapeutic. Currently Alex is a white dragon, but I have been on the fence about making him a golden dragon. For both characters, I used reference images of my friends and my own face to attempt to inject as much of our personalities into the characters . the eyes will probably be bigger in the final designs.
I try to tackle too many things at once. Here is Alex, he is a gator that has hair!!!! (there is a reason for this in the story :D) He is the co protagonist for ‘Alex and Cruz”. The tail need to be finished hand have those bumps on them that crocs and gators have. His shirt design needs to be more elaborate. And he needs his scales painted an so forth.
Since I used parts from other the other models I made, I spent about 2 hours on him.
Here’s a character that has been haunting my comics for years. Started out as a parody of Dr. Mario, but then evolved into something more sinister. Although having ‘Goode’ in his name he is a very lousy doctor, in fact his ineptness causes more harm then good. I enjoyed drawing his bizarre antics in the past but now he needed a update baddly. I wanted to see if I could improve the character after about 8 months of not drawing him to see if I could improve his design. Here is what Alex looked like 8 months ago: http://superdefective.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/iface/. Let me know what you think.
Farley the unicorn is finally finished. I thought Farley’s face and coloring was making him resemble more of a rhino than a horse. So I remodeled the face to look like a horse. Recreated the tail and horn. changed fur color to gray and painted the textures onto him. I love the look of gray horses with the dark coloring around the muzzle so I included that in his design. Jed is much easier to creative expressions due to his mouth range being in front of the muzzle.
I can finally start ‘Dean and Jed’ (or ‘Jed and Dean’, I haven’t decided which sounds better) I’m keeping it at a two character cast for a while, later I will create a stock sheep character that I can morph into other sheep characters for extras in scenes. I start cranking out something on March 4.
But I have been putting my concept art training on the back burner so I will be working on that for a while. I still have 19 heads to draw *withers in fear*
Total time spent creating Jed: 25 hours.
Created in Carrara, Hexagon, and Daz Studio
Just making make sure this would actually work. I created my first set for my comic in 3d, the dragon’s work area. After I created the set, I experimented with rendering to see what way would be best and tried various toon shaders , flat shading, among other things. I found the best result and it matched with the vector character, as I want it to look as seamless as possible. I’m using techniques used more by animators then cartoonist for this project. I want the comic to look very clean and professional.