A rather sloppy painting of my dragon character Alex. Alex is Copyrighted by me.
I am very happy how this painting turned out. I’ve never painted cracked ice before. I can see the value of painting environments everyday.
References use for the study from Wikimedia Commons
As I stated yesterday, I will be jumping around a half dozen unfinished paintings in a haphazard attempt to finish them. I am doing this for two reasons 1. For my portfolio. 2. To continue practicing refinement and details. I been on a dragon drawing/ painting binge for a few months. I’ve also have became a regular at the local zoo, sketching the animals there. If you want to get quick at drawing, regularly draw the animals at the zoo, they never stop moving. Half of my paintings feature dragons in them, I worry I might of overdone it.
I will continue to paint dragons in the future but I will be more balanced. This daily painting project has successfully made me paint every day. However I need to make my daily paintings more academic, so after the 100th painting, I will focus on portraits (a few self portraits or ‘selfies’, saying the word selfies makes me feel stupid. ‘Portrait’ is not a difficult word to say), still life paintings (mostly toys of animals), and study/copies. I have been incorporating EVERY painting I’ve done into the daily painting project. almost like a quota. I should not do this. My daily painting project needs to be more academic and separate from my projects.
The most important thing about refining and adding details on a digital painting is this. 1. Keep your edges of your masses super clean. 2. Put most of the detail work in the focal point. 3the strokes with in a mass of a less important area of the painting can be much bigger then the focal point but make sure it isn’t ‘sloppy’, keep it clean. 4. put details only in bright highlighted areas, leave the dark areas to the viewer’s imagination.
Feedback is welcome
Still working on this study. Its about me learning about refining and polishing. It’s getting there. I’m starting to ‘figure it out’. The method is basically crosshatching. I love crosshatching in ink. For some bizarre reason I never figured out that I could apply the technique just as well to painting. I was sluggish at first but what getting in the groove near the end of the hour. It should take me 2-3 more hours to finish this. I painted this in Photoshop. Time spent on this session: 1 hour. 2hours total. Name of the artist who painted the original painting I am studying/coping is still unknown. Next time I study/copy a artist’s painting, I will make sure I know the artist’s name :0. I will work on it more on Friday.
I really hated yesterday’s painting so I redid it. It’s very difficult painting on a iPad. I do love my wacom tablet. Self Critique: I am happy that I tried a lower camera angle. I had a bit of trouble with balancing the the bright red of the bird’s beak with the rest of the image. I am happy with the saddle but it could be refined to a much better design. I’m not too happy with the mage’s leg and how the robe wraps around. I probably could make a ref photo to figure out correct it but It don’t think it is worth investing any more time on it. Next 2 weeks I will only be doing studies, I’m a little annoyed with myself that I cant get what out I want out of my imagination on to the canvas in it’s entirely. I have a pounding headache.
I spent about a hour and a half on this painting. Painted in Photoshop