aret, art, artwork, concept art, wip

Monster Concept (Wip) and other concept doodles

mon-alien-finished-5

I was trying to boost my concept work. Still have some work to do on this one. I’m getting better at painting creatures. A good animal anatomy book does wonders. Also in this post is a design for my co protagonist named Alex. He is a dragon want’s to be a human (a inverted otherkin :D) and can transform himself in one for a short amount of time.  He is.. awkward and has trouble fitting in with either humans or his kind. some armor for females. and  very cool monster concept

art, artist, artwork, Daily Doodle, digital art, fantasy, monsters, otters

Otter Seahorse Monster and Friends (Daily Doodle 5)

bunny sea horse monster man on toe

My daily doodle from yesterday (I forgot to do one Thursday..opps) A otter sea horse thing. I am somewhat pleased with the motion of this doodle. I am also pleased that non of the monsters resemble dragons in any way.

Time spent: Half a hour.

 

art, artwork, creepy, monsters, photoshop, silly, still life

Still Life 9 – The Monster In My Glass

monster dino in glass or pure doom and hate and lust for doom

As strange as it looks. It IS a still life painting. For a school art project I was taking apart cheap $1 toys and then putting them back to together as a mash-up. Dr. Frankenstein would have been proud. One of my creations was a stegosaurus centaur. Unfortunately I messed up when gluing it and the poor thing fell apart. the only parts that stayed together (barley) was the neck/head and the torso. I thought it would be cool to use my florescent light as the only main lighting source. Well.. it over-saturated all the colors. This was extremely hard for me to paint because every color was at both a high saturation and value. I finally gave up and added a lower value blue.  I will only use the florescent light for fill lighting from now on.

45 minutes

art, artwrok, daily painting, dragons, fantasy, photoshop

Daily Painting No.88 – Dragon Bust WIP2

dragon portrait bad ass bust dragons mad dragon self portrait

I feel like I’m finally getting somewhere with this painting. Added a ton more details into the dragon. Opened up the frame added a background. This helped the composition immensely as I thought it was previously too cramped. I am debating if I will add another color into the painting. One more long session should knock this painting out. I am behind in uploading my art. I will catch up tomorrow. Feedback is very appreated.

As for my 100 painting still life / portrait challenge, I have decided to do it 50/50 and alternate between them. 50 still life paintings and 50 portraits. Here are my goals. All paintings will be in color, and use color in a exciting way. All portraits will be of recognizable people,actors, characters, real of fictitious, but a fictitious character has be in a live film (no cartoon portraits, all must be based photos). The reason for this is if it is recognizable I can get more feedback. For my still life paintings. The models will be from of my sculpture/toy collection of creatures, dinosaurs, dragons, cats, and other cool critters. I will also do some shiny and reflective objects.

art, artist, artwork, color, daily painting, dinos, dinosaurs, horses, humor, painting, photoshop, ponies, still life

Daily Painting No.62 – Best Friends Forever (Part 1)

Horse study with dinosaur dinosaur rider art artwork still life painting

My first COLOR still life painting. It wasn’t as scary as I’d thought it would be. I used my pony and allosaurus toys as a reference. I wanted to include a simple geometric shape as well but I had none with color (because I sprayed white paint over them) . I will go hunting in Goodwill for some. I learned a ton from this painting. First of all color is deceiving. To set up my palette, I did a little game. I took a photo of my still life and loaded it into Photoshop and placed it on my left monitor. I then set up a blank canvas, and placed it on my right. I then guess which colors where correct and placed them on my canvas like a swatch, then i would used the eyedropper tool on the color in the photo I was guessing to see how accurate I was. I would then guess again if it was too far off. That’s how I made my pallet. Because of this I can ‘see’ color a bit more clearly. I discovered that there was really no black color anywhere in the image. The shadow areas actually had a lot of brownish red in them due to bounce lighting. This painting is unfinished and will be completed on Friday. So Far I have spent 1 hour and twenty minutes on it. Painted from scratch using a Wacom tablet.