Its interesting how some of the most basic compositions can be very expressive. Still experimenting with my chalk brushes
Today’s landscape painting. It’s more muddy then my previous paintings. I did add a slight bit of orange in an attempt to give the painting more life. Ref from Wikimedia Commons.
Concept art of the monsters in my adventure game. The theme of the monsters is eyeballs. The theme of the environment is teeth. I painted these in Photoshop CC.
The first monster character is the Brute: a buff but slow monster that hunts you during the day, and the Chaser: A nimble fast monster that hunts you down at night.
I’ve already have made the 3d models and are now in the game! I will upload them to sketchfab soon as well as some in game footage of the prototype.
The monster I painted today is called a wendigo. It is in the myths of the Algonquian people. One version of the myth states this scary monstrosity was once a human but because he tasted the flesh of another man, he was warped and twisted into this creature and now hunts and eats the living. It has described with ‘desiccated skin’ and ‘bones popping out of the flesh’. A terrifying creature for sure. I want to give it a ‘undead’ look but not be gory.
This poor creature was once a man but he was turned into this monstrosity because he: fell into toxic ooze / was curse by an evil sorcerer / was a victim of a failed science experiment / all of the above… or its just some creature that likes to wear shirts.
For the remaining monsters I will be drawing creatures from fables and legends. For example: minotaurs, basilisks, and the cockatrice.
My attempt to paint Franz Kafka. A novelist who is remembered for his story “The Metamorphosis” about a man who mysteriously turns into a cockroach. I experimented with a different way to approach painting in Photoshop. Instead of manually changing the transparency of the brush with the number keys, I first set the transparency by pen pressure. Then after laying some tone down I would make the brush opaque and simply use the eyedropper tool to blend different tones together. found it much quicker then the way I was previously doing it. The next day I worked on it for about 10 to 15 minutes and cleaned up the sketch to make it a more finished drawing (although it would need more work done before it was ‘finished’) but forgot to record it. Doh!
I’ve been fighting a cold this weekend so I been hard to urge myself to draw. I should probity start painting celebrities that people actually know. I think I also need to not just ‘stop’ painting when I go past my time goal. If I think the painting is going along well, I need to just finish it. My portfolio is begging me to do that.
Here is the more refined version. I might someday make this a finished painting. It does look like Kafka but for some reason I made him look somewhat ominous and intense. I don’t know why I did that. I was over exaggerating his big nose and had to size it down. I used a photo from Wikimedia as a reference