3d modeling, art, artist, indies games, project phx

Wyvern Player Character 3d Model WIP (Project Phx)

wyvern-hero-wip

Here is my progress on the main character model for my shooter game. There are some minor UV glitches on the wings but I should have them fixed soon.

art, characters, concept art, daily painting, indie games, monsters, painting, project phoenix

Wyvern Hero Concept Art v (Monster 22) (Project Phoenix)

wyvern-concept-mid-painting-attempt4-pose-altered

I wasn’t happy with the last version, it was bothering me. I had to sleep on it to realize my mistake. The lighting is screwed up. Also, wings are usually more translucent. These mistakes where fixed. I’m still not %100 keen with this painting.Wished that I had made the pose more lively, but It should work fine as a ref for my 3d model. I want to make a more dynamic illustration of this critter if I can get the chance.

art, concept art, daily painting, fantasy, monsters

Wyvern Hero Concept Art (Monster 22) (Project Phoenix)

wyvern-concept-mid-painting-attempt2-pose-altered

This Wyvern will be the ‘character player’ of my future game: Code named “Project Phoenix”

I’ve come to the conclusion that I do my best work when a project is in mind. I will be making a very short 3d shooter similar to games like Gradius and Salamander. I’m literally ‘killing three birds with one stone’ by incorporating models I will be making as homework for my 3d classes into the models and props for the game. And since the baddies will also be monsters, I can finish my monster project with my concept art!

After the game is finished, I will make a demo reel showcasing the gameplay, models, and concept art of my last two games.

Anyways I’ve been busy with art commissions as of late, so I haven’t been able to update my blog as much as I liked. I should be able to upload them shortly.

3d model, 3d modeling, alptraum, art, creatures, indie games, leviathan, monsters

Monster Revised (Leviathan Game)

scorpian monster with claws and death

Update: After inserting the monster into the game, he was a bit too hard to see, so I went back to his purple coloring.

If you like to rotate this 3d model at all angles, you can view it on p3d.in : https://p3d.in/Cv7rb

I have revised the monster a third time. When inserting the monster into the game, the bright colors didn’t match the atmosphere of the game. I added some more clamps and gave him a poisonous stinger. This is the benefit of modular design. It took only an hour and a half to implement these changes. The only disadvantage of modular design is hiding the seams where the polygons connect. That’s where using a singular mesh has it’s advantage, but just try to add more polygons to a mesh that has already has uvs. It’s a nightmare.

3d modeling, alptraum, art, artwork, game art, indie games, level design, leviathan, programming

Leviathan Game – Completed Buildings and First Island WIP

Screenshot 2015-08-02 00.18.10

Although I haven’t been able to post for the past few days, I have been very busy on the Leviathan game. The two main buildings have been completed. I have the main layout completed for the island. Now what’s left is some polish. There still is some scripting and animation to do. I composed the game music which is more atmospheric then melodic.  I need to get it done by the 6th so I can submit it and promote it a little. It’s been a busy two weeks. I’m praying I can complete this by the deadline.

alptraum, art, artwork, digital art, game progects, indie game, painting, video games

Building and Prop Concept Art for Leviathan

Mushroom-conceptsferna-conceptsbuildings-and-modular-concept-v2

My first pass concept sketches for Leviathan. I might not have time for a second pass because the game needs to be completed in two weeks. I going to do a quick environment painting and then I must start working on the level and models.

3d modeling, alptraum, art, game dev, monsters

The Monster – Textured Model (WIP)

monster video game model

The monster is getting there, I just need to clean up some texture spots. I made the creature modular so parts can be added and removed with ease. I did this so if I wanted to expand the game afterwards, I can make monster variations. A similar idea for the building will be used. I spent about ten hours to twelve on the model.

It’s ready to be animated. I did some tests and was successful in getting my animated monster into the game engine:

Screenshot-2015-07-21-18.43

I know that doesn’t sound impressive, but took me a couple hours due to an issue with the engine reading the files from my modeling software. However the same model file popped into Unity with ease. Go figure.

Here are some more screenshots:

alptraum, art, artist, concept art, finished paintings, game dev, monsters

Monster Concept Revision

monster-14-painting-6-revised

I Felt that the design needed more color. Since yellow is the complementary of violet,  adding a flame like texture might might make the design look cool. The chest was a little empty so a big eye was added.