I wasn’t happy with the last version, it was bothering me. I had to sleep on it to realize my mistake. The lighting is screwed up. Also, wings are usually more translucent. These mistakes where fixed. I’m still not %100 keen with this painting.Wished that I had made the pose more lively, but It should work fine as a ref for my 3d model. I want to make a more dynamic illustration of this critter if I can get the chance.
I’ve returned to the monster painting project. I thought it would be best something furn. This was painted inArtrage. I found out how to turn the ‘3d’ effect off the paints. This helped me blend the color more like I would in Photoshop. Speaking of photoshop, Artrage’s solution to masks is ‘stencils’ and they are driving me crazy, I keep accidentally moving them and cant find a way to lock them. I am happy with this quick painting and am getting closer to thinking like a painter.
My first wyvern painting. I tried a different method to painting this time. I painted a silhouette and then blocked in the forms into the silhouette. This painting method worked surprisingly well for me. It got me out of my artist block. I spent about three hours on it. Painted it in Photoshop. Let me know what you think.